When applying to the Department of Geography, please follow this process:
- Apply via the University of Illinois Online Application site.
- Send your official General GRE exam scores (Verbal, Quantitative, and Analytical Writing taken within the last 5 years), and TOEFL score or IELTS (international students) to the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, institution code: 1836. International applicants whose native language is not English must meet English Proficiency Requirements for admissions to the University of Illinois. International students who would like to be considered for teaching assistantships must submit a TOEFL taken within the last two years and meet the requirements for International Teaching Assistants set by the Graduate College .
- Upload your statement of purpose to the application system. We recommend that you note in your statement of purpose the graduate program that interests you the most, your career goals, and the name(s) of the faculty member(s) with whom you would like to work. Geography does not have program specific questions.
- Upload your transcripts and certification of degree directly to the application system. The uploaded documents must include your name and the name of the institution. Include a copy of the transcript legend or university key (back page in most cases) for each institution. Please view all uploaded documents to be sure the scanned copies are clearly legible and can be printed on letter size paper - 8.5 by 11 (21.5 by 30 cm). Do not mail a copy to the department.
- Geography requires three letters of recommendation. Directions are included on the application system to submit these letters electronically.
- Once your application is complete (steps 1-5), the department's admission committee will carefully evaluate your application. If your application is competitive and a faculty member agrees to work with you as advisor, then we will send you an acceptance by email. Applicants who are recommended for admissions will need to submit an official final transcript (which shows completion of all course and degree awarded) upon final review by the Graduate College. All admission decisions will be communicated via email to the email address provided in your application.
- Geography does not require proof of funding documents at the time you submit your application. If you are approved for admission, then we will then ask you to upload your proof of funding documents.
- The university's application fee is $70 for US citizens and permanent residents and $90 for all other applicants. The fee must accompany the application by credit card payment with a web application. Application fees are non-refundable.
- The department has several admissions-related deadlines of which you should be aware. Applications are accepted for students to begin their degrees in the fall semester; the department does not admit students to begin their degrees in spring semester. Applicants who wish to be considered for financial assistance are strongly encouraged to apply by January 13, 2013.
If you have any questions about the admissions process or our graduate programs, please feel free to contact Susan Etter or the Director of Graduate Studies, Colin Flint via e-mail or by telephone at (217) 244-3488.
Department of Geography and Geographic Information Science
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Room 222 Davenport Hall
607 South Mathews Avenue
Urbana, Illinois 61801-3671
email: Susan Etter
Telephone: (217) 244-3488
Fax: (217) 244-1785
The University of Illinois is an affirmative action/equal opportunity institution.